Replacing piano keytops

Replacing old keytops with new molded plastic tops will make your keyboard look brand new and is a relatively easy procedure, with only minimal (if any) reshaping.(see parts page)

You'll need a single edge razor blade or a thin bladed knife, and some "contact cement" or PCV glue which do not require clamping as most other glues do, letting you replace keytops without removing the keys. Contact cement and PCV glue are sold at hardware stores.

(DO NOT use wet, slow drying glues such as Elmer's if you are replacing a loose ivory keytop back onto the key as the moisture will cause the ivory to warp).

Molded German key topsThe most difficult part of the job (aside from removing the cabinet parts) is getting the old plastic or ivory off the keys without damaging the wood. However, the new tops are extra thick and will cover the keywood even if it is damaged.

First, open the piano top and front piece and remove the fallboard (the cabinet part that drops down over the keys) and any other cabinet part that restricts your access to the top and front of the keys.

The exact procedure for this will depend on your piano model, but a little study should show you what you need do (go here for a discussion of opening vertical pianos, or here if you have a grand). You'll need regular and Phillips head screwdrivers, some medium sandpaper, and a small file.

After you remove the fallboard you may also need to remove the keyslip (the board running across the piano in front of the keys) IF you are using new keytops with fronts. On grand pianos this is relatively easy if you don't mind getting on the floor under the piano.

To remove the keyslip you'll need to remove the endblocks (the large flat blocks of wood at each end of the keyboard). They are usually held by large wing nuts located under the keybed on each end (on newer pianos) or by large wood screws on older instruments.

After the endlocks have been removed, the keyslip either simply lifts up off its guide pins, or itself is attached with several wood screws under the keybed as shown in the drawing.

On vertical pianos, the keyslip may also be held by screws under the keybed, though more often than not it is part of the casework and cannot easily be removed. In this case it may be necessary to remove the key from the piano to recover the fronts.

To remove a key from verticals, remove the fallboard and the key retaining board (the long slip of wood crossing the keys at about their mid-point. It is held by screws at either end, and perhaps a slotted nut near the middle). Lift the key up and off its guide pins and out of the piano (go here for a picture of how keys fit on their pins).

Note: If you have an old upright, check to be sure the bridle tapes that connect the lower and upper action parts, aren't broken. Broken straps create problems when replacing keys. Either get a book on piano repair, or call a tuner to replace the straps. Removing keys from spinets or grands is a much more difficult than for uprights or consoles, so you'll probably have to work the keys still in the piano.

Return to top

In any case, proceed as follows:

(1.) Using a thin blade knife or razor blade, carefully loosen the old keytop by working the blade between the wood and the key material. If your old keys are real ivory they were probably attached by cloth wafers and may just pop off, though they may also break into pieces.

Plastic tops may offer more resistance. Work carefully and try not to damage the key wood. If you are using the new type with fronts, also remove the old key material on the front of the key. If using the type without fronts, use fine steel wool to clean the old fronts.

If you have trouble removing the tops, you can loosening the glue by briefly applying a heating iron on them. But be sure to place a very slightly damp cloth over the key first or you can end up with a very messy iron. Apply the iron for only 10 or 15 seconds to keep from melting plastic. You may damage the tops, but since you're replacing them it's a moot point.

There are several videos of removing old key tops on YouTube, so searching for them before you start may help.

(2.) Once the old keytop is removed, use the razor blade and sandpaper to remove any remains of the old wafers or glue.

(3.) Apply a thin layer of contact cement to both the top of the key and the bottom of the new piece (note that the new keytops are labeled A, B, C, D, etc. as to which key they fit. They are not interchangeable even if they appear to be). Allow the glue to become tacky (if using PVC glue there is no need to wait for it to become tacky).

(4.) Once the glue has become tacky, carefully align the keytop to the key, making sure the edges are even and the keytop centered. Do not press the top down until you are certain it is straight. Sight down the sides of the key to check alignment.

When you are sure the keytop is centered, press it firmly to the key and hold it for about a minute, or wrap it tightly with string to hold it down. Be certain the top is aligned correctly - once it is pressed into place it is very difficult to realign. If you goof, quickly pry the keytop off, clean the glue from both parts and try again.

(5.) If the edges of the new top extend beyond the wood, carefully file them flush to the wood (this is usually not necessary since the new tops are designed to fit most keys, but sometimes the fit is not perfect. Fortunately this plastic files easily with any good wood file).

Also, since these new keytops are thicker than the old ivory or plastic, it may be necessary in rare cases to shim the fallboard with thin cardboard shims to allow it to close correctly (place the shims under the fallboard hinges, or under the end blocks on old grands).

The procedure for replacing sharps is the same. If your new sharps are real ebony wood, Elmer's glue will work, but you'll need to press the key firmly in place for ten minutes or so to allow the glue to set. Contact cement is easier with any key material.

If you have any problems fitting the keytops, send me an e-mail or call and I'll help if I can.

Return to top